Tomorrow is the big day as thousands of runners from around the world will descend upon Jackson for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Mississippi Blues Marathon and Half Marathon. The race will take them through Fondren and you can be a part of the experience. This document clearly outlines the route and gives you approximate times to catch runners in action. As well, there are a few reminders that will be helpful for Saturday morning:
- Be sure to park in you driveway and not on the street in the neighborhoods where the race will take place.
- Make sure curbs, gutters, and the street area in front of your home are clear of any lawn debris or trash.
- There will be aid stations for runners in the neighborhood (on Wood Dale Drive as well as on Oak Ridge). Volunteers ate these aid stations are from local businesses and have been trained on where to park and to leave the area cleaner than they found it.
- Course marshals will direct runners at every intersection on the course. These volunteers will have hand held stop signs to assist in directing vehicles. Please be aware of them and respectful of their requests.
- Drive cautiously when you see runners on the course. North State Street and Old Canton Road will have orange cones marking the runners’ lane, but there will be no cones on interiors neighborhood streets.
- Most importantly, cheer! Step out to the street and cheer the runners on, from the world class elite marathoners to those that may be running their first race. Your support means everything to us!
For more on the Mississippi Blues Marathon and Half Marathon, visit msbluesmarathon.com. And don’t forget to join us for live music tonight (5pm-8pm) and tomorrow after the race in front of the War Memorial (next to the Old Capitol on State Street.)