Special to Find It In Fondren™
The public is invited to tour the new $74 million School of Medicine building on the University of Mississippi Medical Center campus during a community open house, 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, August 5.
The 151,000-square- foot facility provides medical students with a single, purpose-built home, something they have not had for years on the Jackson campus.
A ceremonial groundbreaking for the new building was held on Jan. 7, 2013, and was attended by Gov. Phil Bryant and other elected officials.
The building replaces a school housed in the original Medical Center complex which opened in July 1955.
Over the years, the school evolved into a fragmented network of classrooms, labs, administrative offices and other facilities.
The new School of Medicine’s dimensions and cutting-edge technology allow for a boost in the size of each entering class – from about 145 to 155, with plans to eventually top off at approximately 165.
Visitors should enter the campus on Peachtree Street from Lakeland Drive and park in Visitor Lot D. The self-guided tours will include hosts on each of the building’s five floors.