As Mississippi beer lovers celebrate the state’s new law allowing for high gravity beers, Sal & Mookie’s is planning something special to commemorate the occasion.
Mississippi’s first 8% beer dinner will be held Monday July 9th at the Fondren pizza and ice cream joint on Taylor Street. Six beers will be paired with a special menu. The plan looks like this:
- Abita Andygator will welcome you in…
- Then Yazoo Sue Smoked American Porter will be served with some Pecan-Crusted Fried Brie with Dried Cherry Marmalade and Jicama Slaw.
- Followed by Abita Save Our Shores Wheat Pilsner paired with Salad of Baby Spinach, Gorgonzola Cheese, Strawberries, Toasted Almonds, and Grilled Red Onions in a Pear-Poppyseed Vinaigrette.
- Next is a Lazy Magnolia Timberbeast Rye IPA coupled with Roasted Salmon with a Red Thai Curry Sauce and Jasmine Rice.
- Final big course! How about Abita Abbey Ale complimenting an Abbey-Ale Marinated, Grilled Flank Steak with Steamed Broccolini and Abbey Ale Beer Battered Onion Rings??
- Top if all off with an Abita Vanilla Double Dog Dark Ale with a Chocolate, Butterscotch Toffee Cake with Caramel Icing
6 beers – 5 courses – 1 price ($60). Reservations are a must and a credit card is needed to guarantee a place. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601.368.1919 to claim your spot.
In April, Governor Phil Bryant signed a bill that would allow the brewing and sale of stronger beers in Mississippi. The bill was passed by lawmakers in March and will now allow an alcohol content of up to eight percent by weight. The previous limit was five percent.